Source: Context and objectives. UNESCO Forum on Biodiversity: On the Road to Kunming. Forum. UNESCO.
https://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-forum-biodiversity-road-kunming /29. 3. 2021/
On 24 March 2021, UNESCO held online “The UNESCO Forum on Biodiversity” dedicated to the interdependent challenges of climate change and the erosion of biodiversity in today’s Anthropocene inviting prestigious guests to share their insights with the audience. The aim of this most interesting five-hour forum was also to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Man and the Biosphere program.
UNESCO dedicates the anniversary to reflect achievements made over the past half century and pay tribute to those who have made a significant contribution to the MAB program, paving the way for the future by focusing on young people in biosphere reserves.
Within this framework, UNESCO invites debate on the following challenges:
- Finding different ways of living together on Earth, through climate action, biodiversity preservation and ocean health;
- Exploring the interdependence of issues affecting the planet and humanity;
- Respectfully managing the Earth for present and future generations and in interaction with other living species, building on the principles of solidarity, equity and justice;
- Blurring the boundaries that separate us from the rest of the living world;
- Maintaining the independence of science and the integrity of the scientific process, which is necessary for environmental decision-making;
- Breaking down barriers to accessing scientific information, given that environmental decisions should be based on and guided by the best available scientific knowledge;
- Recognizing different forms of knowledge, including that of indigenous peoples, for the harmonious management of biodiversity;
- Developing a conception of contemporary social and economic life that integrates concern for the sustainability of the system over the very long term;
- Reducing inequalities and eradicating poverty, which is exacerbated by environmental and health crises;
- Preventing harm and supporting citizen action in relation to the management and use of the planet’s resources.
Please do attend the recorded online forum below and be inspired to (continue our) work together.